The American Laundry & Linen College (ALLC)
The American Environmental Services College (AESC)
This intensive, in-depth classroom based program is a three-part series of educational training programs held on the campus of Eastern Kentucky University in Richmond, KY
(20 miles south of Lexington, KY).
Each part of the College is designed to provide leadership, management and industry-specific training available only in this type of setting. The ALLC courses provide training for laundry/linen directors while the AESC program provides a compliment of training courses applicable to the environmental services professional. Registration fees include all educational programs, educational material, continental breakfast at the hotel, lunch, breaks periodically throughout the day, class photograph, and up to eight (8) nights lodging.
The college convenes twice yearly, in the spring and fall. Each session offers 6 days of classroom study, training and hands-on experience for a total of three weeks instruction. Part I is designed as a basic, introductory training that focuses on the wash process, infection control, and equipment basics. Part II delves into production issues, standards, linen management and preventative maintenance. Part III develops skills in interviewing, labor relations, regulations, quality management and customer service. Successful completion of all three parts can lead to certification as a Registered Laundry & Linen Director. Compentency at each level is determined through testing and practical applications.
The Environmental Services part II provides individuals with the core tools necessary for management in the environmental services arena. Course instruction and training include staffing standards, chemical and equipment selection and utilization, infection control, pest management, and interior design. An excellent program for laundry managers responsible for linen and environmental services. Successful completion of this part with the accompanying laundry Part I & III leads to certification as a Registered Environmental Services Director. However, the Environmental Services Part II section is available as a stand alone training program (attendance at the Laundry Part I program is not required as a prerequisite for attending the environmental services section). This section is most commonly offered only in the fall.
Upcoming College Details
Note: Any part of the ALLC or AESC series may be cancelled subject to minimum registration requirements. Enrolled students will be notified.
Course Curriculum for the Laundry & Linen College and Environmental Services College
Fall 2010 Program Details - October 17 - 23, 2010
Student arrival: Saturday, Oct 16
Required classroom training: Sun. 10/17 - Fri. 10/22
Competency Testing: Saturday, Oct. 23rd
Student departure: Sat. 10/23 afternoon and Sunday
Courses Scheduled: Laundry Part III
Cancelled 9/28/10 - Laundry Part I (this part will be held in Spring 2011)
Spring 2011 Program Details - April 3 - 9, 2011
Student arrival: Saturday, April 2
Required classroom training: Sun. 4/3 - Fri. 4/8
Competency Testing: Saturday, April 9
Student departure: Sat. 4/9 afternoon and Sunday
Courses Scheduled: Laundry Part I
Laundry Part II
Laundry & Linen College or
Environmental Services College
2010 Registration Fees
|Early Bird Discount Fee
• postmarked by
Oct. 4, 2010
|ALM Members $1,795
ASHES Members $1,850
|Regular Registration Fee
after Oct. 4, 2010
|ALM Members $2,360
ASHES Members $2,420
Guide to Enrollment in the College
Requirements to attend: Enrollees in the college must have obtained/completed the minimum of a high school diploma or G.E.D. It is suggested, although not required, that participants have some hands-on experience in laundry/linen services. The experience does need to be at a management level, but a basic understanding of the linen processing industry is helpful. The Certified Laundry & Linen Management Correspondence Course (CLLM) is an excellent tool to utilize as preparation for attending the college especially if it's been a while since you've participated in a training program.
1. Complete the Registration Form
• Print out this form and submit with payment (check or
credit card to ALM) or
• Select this secure link to register on-line and pay directly
by state/federal purchase order number.
2. Participant will receive confirmation
• Confirmation of enrollment will be sent via email to each
individual registering for the college. This correspondence
will include links to additional information that is to be
completed prior to attendance. Please pay special
attention to deadlines.
3. Participant will return the following information
• Personal data form
• Participation agreement (must be notarized)
• Transportation & Accommodation form
4. Confirmation of Acceptance
• After all three forms are completed and submitted to ALM
participants will receive regular correspondence relevant to
their participation in the college.
5. Air Travel Considerations
• We encourage participants to wait until approximately
3 weeks prior to travel before booking airfares as sessions
are subject to cancellation due to minimum registration
• If traveling by air, approximately 1 week prior to travel you
will receive an email confirming your transfer arrangements
to the lodging facility.
Forms Required for College Participation
√ Registration Forms
Select this option to register and pay on-line
Select this option to print registration form to mail/fax
√ Personal Data Form
This is completed and submitted on-line
√ Participation Agreement
Print out & sign in presence of notary & return by deadline
√ Transporation/Accommodation Form
This is completed & submitted on-line following completion of
your travel plans to Richmond - see details below on travel
before booking airfare
Travel and Preparation Specifics
Arrival & Departure Information
»»Traveling by Air?
• Confirm with ALM that the minimum number of registrants have enrolled for the part you are attending. This is usually confirmed by the early bird registration deadline (approx 3 weeks prior to class beginning). If you need to book your air travel prior to that date we suggest you obtain refundable tickets just in case.
• The nearest airport is Lexington Bluegrass Field (airport code LEX) but you can look at travel through Louisville (airport code SDF) or Northern KY (airport code CVG). Please note that ALM does provide complimentary transfers during selected hours to/from the Lexington Bluegrass Field only. If you travel through any other airport, you will need to arrange for alternate transportation to Richmond. Approximate drive time to Richmond from the Louisville airport is 2 hours + and anticipated drive time to Richmond from the Northern KY airport is 2 hours.
• Participants arriving at Lexington Bluegrass Field will be provided complimentary transfers to the hotel in Richmond, KY. Arrivals should be scheduled no earlier than 10:00am EST and no later than 6:00pm EST to utilize our complimentary transfer to the hotel in Richmond. Participants who indicate on their Transportation/Accommodation Form that they require assistance with transfers (and arrive within the time parameters) will receive confirmation and details on their transfers approximately 1 week prior to travel. Departure transfers from the Richmond hotel back to the Lexington airport are scheduled for Saturday leaving Richmond ~12:30 p.m.- 6:00 p.m. and Sunday from 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
»»Traveling by Automobile?
• The hotel, The Holiday Inn Express, is located immediately off of Interstate 75 at exit #87 in Richmond, Kentucky. It is approximately 20 minutes south of Lexington, KY. Participant's planning to arrive after 6:00p.m. need to contact the ALM office to arrange for late check-in accommodations. For safety's sake we ask that you provide an approximate arrival time on your Transportation/Accommodation Form and a contact person in case of travel emergencies.
Packing for the College
• Participant attire is casual for classroom sessions. Part I participants will need to include clothing for the Team Building/Challenge Course. These clothes need to be very casual, outdoor appropriate, and loose fitting such as sweatsuit, jogging suit, relax-fit jeans, etc. While daily attire is casual we do encourage participants to remember they represent their companies/facilities.
»»Class Photo & Luncheon
• Participants will need to pack business appropriate attire for their class photograph. This is business casual, should be appropriate for Directors, please no jeans for the photo or banquet.
• This is a training program and participants will receive a large 3-ring notebook (allow room in your luggage for your return trip home) but will need to bring any supplies that you need in order to study. Previous participants have found that bringing highlighters, pens, #2 pencils, notepads, post-it notes or flags, hand-held calculators, and laptop computers quite beneficial to their study efforts. Limited access to printers will be available.
What's Provided for you
• Eight (8) nights double-occupancy lodging at the Holiday Inn Express is included in your registration fee. If you desire a private room, it will be an additional $310 in advance of arrival. Lodging accommodations wireless internet connectivity, cable television and indoor pool and exercise facilities. Private rooms are first-come/first-serve with limited availability.
• The hotel provides a continental-style breakfast each morning. If you desire/require a full breakfast fare there are numerous resturants available nearby (i.e. Bob Evans is within walking distance).
• Lunch is provided on the EKU Campus each class day. Full meal facilities are available through cafeteria dining and limited food-court services. This cost is included in your registration fee and is provided with an EKU dining card. Participants who desire to dine off campus are not reimbursed for the difference.
• Evening meals are not included in registration fees and participants are on their own. There are a number of resturants within walking and/or driving distance.
• Awards Luncheon is scheduled for Friday evening. Banquet attendance is mandatory.
• Beverage service and snack items will be provided during the classroom breaks.
• Extensive classroom materials, any pre-attendance study materials, class photographs, certificates & CEU's are also provided to all participants.
• ALM will do their best to meet any reasonable concerns or special accommodation needs; please advise as far in advance as possible.