Newsgroup Rules How they work Etiquette How to sign up
The value of member-to-member networking is a benefit of membership in ALM that is difficult to live without. The ability to share industry knowledge with other textile care specialists is often cited as the primary reason for membership in ALM.
In an effort to make communication easier and to take full advantage of our website we have formed "newsgroups" specific to the service you provide. We encourage all members to share their knowledge by participating in a ALM Newsgroup.
Your choices include (you are free to select all that apply to you!)
- Healthcare (Hospitals, Long-term care, Assisted Living, Retirement Homes, etc.)
- Hospitality (Hotels, Motels, Resorts, Spas, etc.)
- Corrections (State and/or Federal Prisons, Jails, etc.)
- Commercial / Cooperative
- District Directors and ALM Chapter Officers (registered officers only please)
As with any group, there are guidelines governing behavior for the Newsgroup participants. For instance, violating antitrust regulations, libeling others, selling and marketing are not permissible in this venue. Please take a moment to review these important guidelines. If you have questions, contact the webmaster at email@example.com. ALM reserves the right to suspend or terminate participation on all lists for members who violate these rules:
- Be polite and respect others and their opinions. Don't challenge or attack others. The discussions are meant to stimulate conversation not to create contention. Let others have their say, just as you may.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posed on the list is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything in a list serve message that you would not want the world to see or you would not want associated with your name.
- Please respect the copyright ownership of information posted to the list. Remember that ALM and other e-mail list participants have the right to reproduce postings to this list.
- This is not a commercial slot, please do not post commercial messages (spamming). Contact people directly with products and services that you believe would help them
Back to top
How News Groups Work
If you agree to abide by the News Group Rules, scroll below and select "Accept" which will take you to the enrollment form. Select the New Group(s) where would like to participate, complete the information and submit the form. Within one business day, you will receive confirmation of your enrollment as well as instructions on how to send a message to the group.
Once enrolled you will automatically receive all e-mails submitted for discussion within the group. Selecting the "reply" button will allow you to add your thoughts to the group discussion. You may select as many groups as you would like, there are no limits.
Participation in these News Groups is limited to ALM members only and is a direct benefit of membership. You will need your ALM member number (which is located on your most recent membership card) and password (if you are signing onto a "members only" area of the site for the first time that password is "nlm") to sign up for participation in a News Group. If you have questions regarding your membership, contact member services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top
News Group Etiquette
- Include your signature on all messages. Include your name, company, location and e-mail address.
- Summarize clearly and concisely the topic of your discussion in the subject line of your e-mail. This allows other group participants to respond more appropriately to your message.
- When sending a "thanks" response to an individual for their assistance do so off the group, not as a "reply" to the entire list by selecting the individuals e-mail address from their signature area.
- If you wish to discontinue participation in a News Group, please return to this area and update your information and select delete instead of including it in your message to the entire group.
- If you provide a lengthy response to your News Group, please warn them in advance by including "long message" in the subject line. Also, due to the great influx of problems with internet viruses and servers that are set to avoid "spam" by excluding e-mails with attachments do not include attachments when using the News Groups. If you have a form that someone in the group is interested in, make arrangements to send it to the specific individual instead of the entire group.
Back to top
News Group Sign-up and Update Functions
Back to top